Sunday, August 23, 2009

Life's been busy!

Life has been really hectic these past few weeks. I have lots of things to share and photos to post so hopefully within the next few days I will get them posted. Here is what we have been up to:
Camping/hiking trip
Trip to Iowa to see my sister and attend the Iowa State Fair
Getting ready for school
School starting
Sea shipment arriving
Trip to Indiana to see our niece Bethany marry Andrew

So several weeks back we decided in the interest of time Ted and the boys would camp down at Jubilee State Park, Emily and I decided to sleep in the comforts of home. In conjunction with this we thought we would take advantage and hike the many miles of trails they have. We just didn't realize how poorly the trails were maintained. Lots of weeds and lack of signs. We set out on a trail suggested by park staff. We hiked for about an hour and the path kept getting worse and worse. But our logical thinking kept saying just keep going left and we're bound to head back to the campsite...wrong. We realized this when the path just pretty much ended, I think it was just a deer path. At this point I am grateful that there are no animals that will be eating us and no poisonous snakes to bite us! We realized we were totally lost when we heard a car off in the distance. We decided that we needed to head in the direction of the car instead of trying to retrace our steps back through the woods. We finally saw the road, climbing through 10 ft high weeds and climbing a barbed wire fence we reached the road! The road though just happened to be about 4 miles from the park entrance and then a few more miles to our campsite. I of course and wanting to stop and hitch hike. At this point I would have hitch a ride with a prison escapee (okay, maybe not). We kept walking and walking and walking. We reached the nearest highway. I constantly was telling Emily and Logan to get over because there was car coming. Ted being related to the Green's is about 1/4mile ahead with Mason, leaving me behind with Emily and Logan who are tired and thirsty. Yes, not only did we not have a cell phone or gps we had no water. We kept on walking with this guy stops and ask if we need help. I explained how we had gotten lost and asked how much farther the entrance to Jubilee Park was. He asked if we wanted a ride and I said I would love one but he had better ask my husband who was up ahead. Not dreaming Ted would accept a ride I couldn't have been more thrilled when Logan says that he was the hunter safety instructor for his class the previous week. Ted too recognized him and before you know it we were all hitching a ride back to the campsite. We felt pretty stupid but he hunts in the park and admitted himself to getting twisted around before. The next day after packing up the tent we toured Jubilee College and the kids played on the playground. We had beautiful weather! All in all it was a great time and one we can have lots of laughs about in the future. Of course the camera was around my neck the entire time so at least I had fun taking photos of our adventure!

A gorgeous day



Setting up camp

Playing with the fire...our kid's favorite thing to do!
The beginning our our "hike"
Logan picked me a bouquet of flowers

What we hiked through to get to the road
Mason has the right idea
Trying to figure out where we are
Logan and Emily resting
A herd of deer at dusk
Jubilee College

Playtime!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I just read a "random acts of kindness" in the PJS about a similar situation. A young boy and his Dad went on trails - I want to say it was Detweiller - and they got lost. He had his cell phone and called his mom who called the police. It took them an hour to find them.
What a good story to laugh about down the road (literally down the road)!!!!