Friday, September 11, 2009

Butterfly Farming

Several weeks ago the kids and I collected 3 monarch caterpillars on the milkweed plant and put them in an aquarium to care for. Emily diligently gathered milkweed leaves every few days for the caterpillars to munch on. Then one by one they formed a chrysalis and remained that way for about 21 days until a beautiful butterfly emerged. The aquarium had been moved out into the garage as the whole thing rather disgusted Logan. But when the time was close for the second one to open up I brought it in sure that I would be able to witness this incredible moment when the caterpillar-chrysalis emerged as a butterfly. But nope, I left one day for about 25 minutes and when I came home there she was....fluttering about! The process was really amazing. We released her after one day, gave her wings a chance to dry up. We still have one more we are waiting on.

No comments: